I recently took a solo 5-day trip to New York City, a place I have wanted to visit for what feels like my entire life. I have been going through a bit of an internal conflict this past year centred around who I want to be, how I want to be seen by others, and how I want to treat others. Just a year ago I had gotten out of a 4 year relationship that ended badly and had changed me into a person I never thought I could be and never wanted to be. I had become severely dependent on the person I had been with and I never want to depend and rely on anybody like that again. I spent this past year putting back pieces of me that were broken and finding the pieces of me that I had lost. During that process I also found and discovered new things about myself. I surrounded myself with a few close friends that truly cared for me and really amazed me by showing me how powerful that the bond of friendship could be, and I stopped blaming other people and other things for my problems. I found an independence that I never really had before. Travelling to New York alone, a big city in a country I had never been to before, was easily the most empowering thing I feel that I have done for myself in awhile. I no longer feel like I need somebody in my life to feel secure. I don’t need somebody to travel to different places and explore the world. I don’t need somebody else to make me feel happy, accomplished and full of worth. I know that I am all of those things, and all I can do is thank the people that influenced me and touched me in some way or another along the way.
Instragrams, from left to right and top to bottom:
1. Waiting for my flight to depart at the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
2. What I proudly took home after a 3-hour bread baking class at Le Pain Quotidien
3. A merry-go-round by Bryant Park
4. Manhattan bridge
5. Highlight of my trip – seeing Wicked at the Gershwin Theatre!
6. Ice skating at Bryant Park
7. A lot of apartments had stair railings like this all along the sides of the building
8. Rows and rows of M&Ms at the massive M&M store by Times Square
9. Creeping on an engagement photo shoot by the Brooklyn waterfront
10. More creeping…view of the Brooklyn Bridge
11. View of Manhattan from the Manhattan Bridge.
12. Teriyaki balls from the Smorgasburg Brooklyn Food Flea Market
13. Just a few things from a stand at the Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market
14. Pretty watches at the Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market
15. Rows of scarves…also from the flea market mentioned above!
16. Times Square can’t shine as bright as you..
17. Naked Cowboy in the middle of Times Square
18. Ice skating outside of the Rockefeller Center